Ad Code

How Kenyan Who Travelled to Russia for Driver Job Met His Death

A Kenyan man who travelled to Russia in search of employment has died on the battlefield after being coerced into joining the Russian military. 

The deceased, Martin Mburu from Kirinyaga Central, reportedly flew to Russia weeks ago with hopes of securing a driver’s job, unaware that he would soon find himself in active combat.

Mburu died on Thursday, November 27, while fighting against Ukrainian forces, according to information shared with the National Assembly earlier this month. The revelation has sparked renewed concern over the safety of Kenyans seeking opportunities abroad, particularly in countries experiencing conflict.

On November 19, Kirinyaga Central MP Gitari Gachoki informed Parliament that Mburu and another Kenyan had been misled into signing military contracts shortly after arriving in Russia. The two allegedly underwent an extremely short training period lasting only three days before being deployed to the frontlines of the Russia-Ukraine war.

“The two are said to have undergone a brief three-day training before being deployed to the front lines of the ongoing conflict. This incident raises concern about the safety and welfare of Kenyan citizens seeking opportunities abroad,” Gachoki said during the parliamentary session.

Mburu’s death comes as Kenya ramps up diplomatic efforts to rescue and repatriate nationals trapped in the war. In recent months, several cases of Kenyans being irregularly conscripted into the Russian army have been reported.

On October 6, Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Korir Sing’Oei announced that the government was working closely with Ukrainian authorities to secure the safe release of Kenyans reportedly detained on the battlefield. 

He made the statement after meeting Ukraine’s Ambassador to Kenya, Yurii Tokar, at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Nairobi.

Earlier in October, Sing’Oei confirmed that another Kenyan, Kevin Kariuki Nduma, had been rescued and repatriated through Kenya’s diplomatic mission in Moscow. Nduma was the fourth Kenyan successfully extracted from the conflict zone. 

The PS also revealed that three other Kenyans — Shaquille Wambo, Pius Mwika, and Derick Njaga — had been safely evacuated and were returning home to reunite with their families.

Following the fresh casualty, the government has once again urged Kenyan youths to exercise extreme caution when considering foreign job offers, especially those that appear vague or unusually attractive.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

'; (function() { var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true; dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js'; (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq); })();

Ad Code